A DISCARDED cigarette is believed to have set fire to rubbish outside an industrial unit.

Firefighters were called to reports of a fire on Gavin Road in Widnes at around 4.45pm yesterday.

Firefighters used a ladder to gain access to the fire.

Crews extinguished it with a hose reel jet and then peeled away panelling and inspected the industrial unit to make sure that the fire was fully out and the unit was safe.

READ > Silver Jubilee bridge closed Widnes bound following oil spillage

A thermal imaging camera was used to look for hotspots.

Firefighters were at the scene for around an hour-and-a-half.

The fire is believed to have been started accidentally by discarded smoking materials.

For fire safety tips for smokers visit cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/home-safety/smoking-fire-safety-tips-for-smokers.