A MINUTE’S silence for the late Kato Ottio provided a sombre start to the Vikings friendly against Whitehaven.

The Papua New Guinea international was due to join Widnes this week but tragically died in the early hours of Tuesday morning after taking ill during a training run back in his home country. He was just 23 years old.

A bucket collection for Otto’s family at the ground raised over four thousand pounds taking the amount the club has raised in total to over £14,000.

Vikings boss Denis Betts selected a starting team which may not be far off the one that kick-off the Super League campaign against Catalans Dragons in three weeks' time.

There was a debut for former Catalans centre Krisnan Inu and returns for winger Patrick Ah Van and second row Macgraff Leuluai after long-term injuries.

When the action got under way it was quickly apparent the Vikings would have too much firepower for their part-time opponents.

A fourth minute try from fullback Rhys Hanbury set the tone and he was quickly followed over the whitewash by hooker Aaron Heremaia who followed up an Inu grubber-kick.

Former Warrington man Sam Wilde was next to cross and it was pretty much game up for the visitors at 18-0 after just twelve minutes.

Three further first half tries from Stefan Marsh (2) and Ah Van gave the Vikings a 34-0 half-time lead.

Haven had a strong spell after the restart and went close when fullback Jordan Burns forced his way over the whitewash but he couldn’t force the ball down in a three-man tackle.

Having looked a bit sluggish, the Vikings burst into life when stand-off Joe Mellor broke through and left Burns for dead on a mazy run from halfway which made it 40-0.

Play became a little disjointed as Widnes rang the changes but the Vikings managed to add further touchdowns through Marsh, completing his hat-trick, Owen Buckley, Tom Olbison and Danny Walker to complete a 62-0 rout.

Coach Betts has decided to give his team a light pre-season programme and with three weeks to go to the big kick-off, this will be their last trial game.

Whether that will leave them a little underdone for the first game against Catalans Dragons remains to be seen.

Widnes: Hanbury; Ah Van, Inu, Runciman, Marsh; Mellor, Gilmore; Burke, Heremaia, Cahill, Dean, Wilde, Houston. Subs: White, J Chapelhow, T Chapelhow, Craven, D Walker, B Walker, Olbison, Whitley, Johnstone, Chamberlain, Leuluai, Buckley.

Whitehaven: Burns, Green, Reece, Thompson, Lister; Billsborough, Phillips; Cottington, Tilley, Shackley, Olstrum, Gillam, Forster. Subs: Abram, Coward, Brown, Holliday.

Half-time: 34-0

Referee: Mr C Smith

Attendance: 1865