WIDNES Vikings overcame a committed Doncaster outfit to progress to the last sixteen of the Carnegie Challenge Cup with a 38-12 win at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Seven tries to two is a clear indication of the difference in finishing power between the two sides, but in truth Doncaster contributed plenty to an entertaining game.

Indeed for half an hour of an enthralling contest it looked like an upset could be on the cards with the National League Two side enjoying the better of things.

A harshly disallowed try on 26 minutes would have put Doncaster 16-4 up with a goal kick to come, but in the end it proved to be the wake-up call Widnes needed.

Steve McCormack's men got off to a flying start when they forced Dons fullback Shaun Leaf into touch on the first tackle.

From the resulting pressure, in-form wingman Dean Gaskell scored after following up his own short kick before diving on the ball in-goal.

The lead was shortlived, however, as scrum-half Luke Gale found a huge hole in the Widnes defence to romp over with half-back partner Kyle Briggs adding the extras.

A Briggs penalty increased the lead and the Yorkshire side really began to fancy their chances when centre Andreas Bauer crashed in wide out on 24 minutes.

The disallowed try came shortly afterwards when Dons hooker Corey Lawrie was pulled back for a double-movement by referee Ian Smith and it proved to be a pivotal moment.

Widnes stormed up the other end and John Duffy put centre Ian Hardman in from close range with Tim Hartley converting.

Three minutes later and Hardman was in again, showing good strength to bulldoze over in the corner with Hartley again adding the extras.

The home side appeared to be weakening as the interval drew close and were dealt a hammer blow with the last play of the half when Duffy put second row Tommy Gallagher in for another six-pointer.

A 22-12 half-time lead may have flattered Widnes slightly, but they came out for the second period determined to cut down Doncaster's attacking options.

A searing break from Duffy created the opportunity for winger Gavin Dodd to score a converted try on 46 minutes and put the Vikings in a commanding position.

The Yorkshiremen asked plenty of questions of the Widnes defence, but Steve McCormack's men kept coming up with the answers.

With 15 minutes remaining, Vikings fullback Scott Yates swooped on a loose ball 20 metres out and showed great determination to get in at the corner.

To put the icing on the cake, substitute Dayne Donoghue benefitted from more astute approach work from Duffy to stretch over for the game's final try.

Hartkey's goal was his fifth of the afternoon.

Widnes: Yates (1t); Gaskell (1t), Hartley (5g), Hardman (2t), Dodd (1t); Paterson, Duffy; Morrison, Smith, Gannon, Hill, Gallagher (1t), Beswick. Subs: Roper, Draper, Donoghue (1t), Kavanagh.