WIDNES were given a run for their money but eventually ran out 32-16 winners over Swinton Lions in the Coral Challenge fifth round at the DCBL Stadium.

It was really only in the latter stages the Vikings ran away with it and the visitors will look back with regret at some unforced errors at crucial stages.

Vikings boss Tim Sheens made just a couple of changes to the side that got the better of Whitehaven.

Logan Tomkins missed out for personal reasons so Lewis Hulme started at dummy-half and Lloyd Roby replaced Owen Farnworth on the bench.

Widnes got off to a lively start, dominating the early field-position.

The Vikings’ profited from their first attempt to go wide with centre Jake Spedding showing the opposition defence a clean pair of heels from 40 metres with Jack Owens adding an angled goal.

The Lions were piggy-backed out of their own end by a penalty and quickly demonstrated they had plenty to offer in attack as fullback Michael Butt joined the line and ghosted through and did well to ground the ball in the corner despite Spedding’s best efforts.

The try went unconverted but Spedding was forced to leave the field through injury to be replaced by Lloyd Roby.

It didn’t take long for Swinton to hit the front when a flat pass on the Widnes line allowed prop Lewis Hatton to barge over under the posts with the goal giving the visitors a 10-4 lead.

The Lions went through a spell of poor ball control, inviting Widnes to attack their line through handling errors.

After several near misses, the ball was shipped out to the left where winger Jack Johnson showed good strength to muscle his way over and level things up.

Swinton regained their composure and finished the half on the front foot but the teams went into the dressing rooms at 10-10.

The closeness of the scoreline seemed to have an anaesthetising effect on both teams with few risks being taken by either side.

It took until the 56th minute for the deadlock to be broken and the score came the Vikings’ way with quick hands from Owens and Matty Smith sending Kenny Baker over.

Owens missed with a very kickable conversion but was on target on the hour with a penalty to make it 16-10.

Widnes looked to have taken a firm grip on the game three minutes later when substitute Macgraff Leuluai crashed over for a rare try from a Smith short ball with Owens extras making it 22-10.

Having seemingly lost their way, Swinton suddenly broke away up their left edge and Butt backed up to race 40 metres to the posts for a six-pointer .

A sloppy mistake in their own half by Swinton allowed Widnes to sneak up the short side and good hands from Lyons and Roby put Deon Cross over to calm the nerves of Vikings fans.

The Lions threw caution to the wind and their desperation opened things up for Widnes who score a late try through Lyons to blow the score out slightly unfairly on the visitors.

Widnes: Lyons; Cross, Spedding, Edge, Johnson; Owens, Smith; T Chapelhow, Hulme, Moran, Wilde, Grady, Baker. Subs: Wood, J Chapelhow, Leuluai, Roby.

Swinton: Butt; Wood, Grant, Cox, Lepori; Hansen, Fairclough; Bennion, Waterwort, Hatton, Lloyd, Halton, Hope. Subs: Brickhill, Brogan, Thomas, Morris.

Half-time: 10-10

Referee: Mr T Grant

Attendance: 1,527