WIDNES got back to winning ways with a dominant 36-6 victory over Sheffield Eagles at Halton Stadium.

After a couple of indifferent performances, the Vikings led from gun to tape running in seven tries to one.

Widnes boss Kieron Purtill welcomed back fullback Jack Owens from a two game suspension in place of Sam Freeman.

Youngster Jayden Hatton was given a wing spot while Jay Chapelhow returned at ptop forward with twin brother Ted starting from the bench.

The Vikings forced Sheffield into an early error and took full advantage as Joe Lyons’ short grubber kick allowed Hep Cahill to pounce under the posts.

The Eagles inability to hold the ball kept them under constant pressure and after several more near misses, Owens joined the line and his cut out pass sent Hatton over on the right.

Widnes continued to dominate and Danny Craven’s smart reverse grubber kick was picked up on the run by Owens who sauntered over for a self-converted try to make it 16-0 after 20 minutes.

Sheffield boss Mark Aston must have been tearing his hair out on the touchline as his side continue to cough up possession cheaply and more Vikings pressure saw another well weighted Lyons kick bounce into the path of centre Chris Dean for another six-pointer.

With six minutes of the first half remaining, another foray into Eagles territory saw Ryan Ince finishing smartly at the left corner from Danny Craven’s long pass to give Widnes a 26-0 interval lead.

Sheffield gave a couple of penalties away early in the second half to piggy-back the Vikings downfield where Craven’s superbly timed short ball sent centre Keenan Brand racing past Eagles fullback Josh Guzdek to increase the lead by four points.

A rare venture into Widnes territory blew up in Sheffield’s face when Ryan Ince fielded an Anthony Thackeray kick and made 50 metres up the left touchline. From the next play, Brand broke a tackle and raced clear for his second touchdown with the goal making it 36-0 after 55 minutes.

The Eagles were looking out on their feet but somehow roused themselves to get on the board with winger Ben Blackmore tricking his way over and Pat Walker converting.

The latter stages petered out with Widnes happy to take the spoils in comfortable fashion

Widnes: Owens; Ince, Dean, Brand; Hatton; Craven, Lyons; Cahill, Ganson, J Chapelhow, Wilde, Hansen, Johnstone. Subs: T Chapelhow, Walker, Leuluai, Norman.

Sheffield: Guzdek; Millar, Ogden, Hellewell, Blackmore; Walker, Thackeray; Moran, Davey, Mason, Davies, Farrell, Brown. Subs: Crookes, Broadbent, Makelim, Pick.

Half-Time: 26-0

Referee: Mr G Hewer

Attendance: 4,920