THE dismissal of fullback Jack Owens in the 64th minute proved crucial as Widnes went down 26-6 to Wakefield Trinity at the Mobile rocket stadium.

The Vikings were well in the game at 12-6 when Owens got his marching orders for dissent but the home team ran in three late tries for a flattering win.

Widnes boss Kieron Purtill stuck by the same seventeen players that took the spoils 32-10 at Swinton five days earlier which meant another run out for youngster Jayden Hatton on the wing and a second appearance of the season for forward Dan Norman who started from the bench.

The Vikings showed an admirable willingness to move the ball around early in the piece and dominated field position.

Wakefield had to do a lot of tackling in the first quarter of the game, not helped by the number of handling errors they were making.

Widnes took a deserved lead on 19 minutes when Danny Craven pushed a grubber kick into the Wakefield in-goal area and Lloyd Roby pounced on the ball before it crossed the dead ball line. Jack Owens’ goal made it 6-0.

The introduction of prop Craig Kopczak gave the home side some impetus and it was his well-timed offload that created the room for Max Jowitt to charge under the posts to level the scores seven minutes from half-time.

Widnes had a couple of half chances as half-time loomed but the teams went into the dressing rooms at 6-6.

Trinity hit the front early in the second period when David Fifita scored what has to be described as a curious try.

Wakefield seemed to have lost their way on last tackle when Fifita kicked forward and appeared to steal the ball off a Widnes player before plunging under the posts.

Ryan Hampshire’s conversion made it 12-6 with referee Gareth Hewer waving away Chris Dean’s vehement protests.

The game settled into an arm-wrestle with Wakefield looking the slightly more likely to score but the Vikings still threatening on occasion.

With fifteen minutes remaining, Jack Owens joined the line from fullback and grubbered for the tryline. When the ball ended up over the dead ball line a 20-metre drop-out was awarded and Owens’ protestations to the touch judge saw him red carded.

It was just about the straw that broke the camel’s back.

With a one man advantage and the Vikings tiring, Wakefield ran in two tries through opposite wingers Ben Jones-Bishop and Lee Kershaw to establish a 20-6 lead.

A last gasp try from Justin Horo ensured it was Trinity that went through to the Coral Challenge Cup quarter-finals.

Wakefield: Jowitt; Jones-Bishop, Lyne, Caton-Brown, Kershaw; Reynolds, Hampshire; Fifita, Wood, Hirst, Kirmond, Horo, Crowther. Subs: Batchelor, Pauli, Kopczak, Annakin.

Widnes: Owens; Hatton, Roby, Brand, Freeman; Craven, Lyons; J Chapelhow, Johnstone, T Chapelhow, Wilde, Dean, Cahill. Subs: Norman, Leuluai, Farnworth, Walker.

Half-Time: 6-6 Referee: Mr G Hewer