WIDNES ran out of energy in the second half as they went down 32-16 to Wigan at a freezing cold DW Stadium.

It was the classic game of two halves with the Vikings having much the better of things before the break and taking a 16-4 lead into the dressing rooms.

But it was one way traffic after the interval with the home side running in five unanswered tries.

Wigan enjoyed the early pressure but a bout of indiscipline let the Vikings out of their own end.

Widnes opened the scoring when Tom Gilmore’s pinpoint grubber kick allowed second row Matt Whitley to slide under the posts for a six-pointer.

Further penalties conceded by Sam Tomkins, for petulance, and Ben Flower, for interference at the tackle, allowed Gilmore to slot over two simple penalty goals to make it 10-0.

The Warriors worked their way up to the other end but were repelled by strong Vikings defence.

On 28 minutes, Wilde made inroads into the Wigan ‘20’ and from the next play-the-ball Mellor’s cut-out pass sent winger Stefan Marsh strolling in for a try against his former club. Gilmore’s superb touchline conversion made it 16-0.

Just when it looked like Widnes might achieve a first-half shut-out, George Williams long pass allowed Joe Burgess to squeeze in at the left corner to make it 16-4 at half-time.

Wigan came out for the second half meaning business but it took them some time to eventually cut the deficit.

The key play came from prop forward Ryan Sutton who barged between two Widnes defenders to touch down with Morgan Escare adding the conversion.

Widnes had a half chance on the break but Hep Cahill couldn’t find winger Ed Chamberlain who had an open field ahead of him.

The Warriors were soon back on the offensive after fullback Rhys Hanbury was harshly adjudged to have knocked on for Widnes.

A quick brace of tries from Tommy Leuluai and Liam Farrell gave the Warriors a 2016 lead and Widnes were suddenly looking like a tried team.

Sam Tomkins tore through for a long range try after fielding a Tom Gilmore chip ahead and winger Tom Davies rounded things off with a try in the corner converted by Tomkins.

Wigan: Tomkins; Davies, Bateman, Gildart, Burgess; Williams, Powell; Clubb, Leuluai, Flower, J Tomkins, Farrell, O’Loughlin. Subs: Sutton, Isa, Escare.

Widnes: Hanbury; Marsh,, Craven, Runciman, Chamberlain; Mellor, Gilmore; Burke, Heremaia, Gerrard, Wilde, Whitley, Olbison. Subs: D Walker, Cahill, T Chapelhow, Leuluai.

Half-time: 4-16 Referee: R Hicks Attendance: 10,815