WIDNES produced a second half supershow to down Leeds Rhinos 23-6 at Halton Stadium.

It looked like anyone’s game at half-time with the visitors leading 6-4 but two tries after the break from centre Krisnan Inu and another from teenage hooker Danny Walker saw the Vikings home.

Leeds enjoyed the better field- position early in the piece but were repelled by strong Vikings tackling.

Widnes worked their way upfield but struggled to find the key to unlocking the Leeds defence.

It was the introduction of Papua New Guinea international Wellington Albert that made the difference as his superb offload from his first carry allowed half-back Joe Mellor to scythe over from 20 metres to make it 4-0 on 20 minutes.

Just when it looked like the Vikings were taking control they were hit by a sucker punch when former Warrington dummy-half Brad Dwyer wriggled over from the play-the-ball. Kallum Watkins goal gave his side a 6-4 lead they held to the break.

A multi-player skirmish early in the second half resulted in Hep Cahill being sent to the sin-bin but the Rhinos failed to capitalise on their numerical advantage.

Instead it was Widnes who scored next when a searing break from outstanding fullback Rhys Hanbury set up the position and Tom Gilmore’s cross-kick was plucked out of the air by Inu to touchdown. The same player added the extras with the help of an upright.

Inu added a penalty goal to make it 12-6 and the pressure was eased further when Danny Craven slotted over a drop-goal.

With six minutes remaining, Walker scooted out from dummy-half on last tackle and showed strength to get the ball over the line to make it 17-6.

Inu finished things off with a short range barge over which he converted himself to send Widnes fans home happy.

Widnes: Hanbury; Marsh, Inu, Craven, Chamberlain; Mellor, Gilmore; Cahill, Heremaia, J Chapelhow, Dean, Whitley, Olbison. Subs: D Walker, W Albert, T Chapelhow, Wilde.

Leeds: Golding; Newman, Watkins, Keinhorst, Handley; Sutcliffe, Myler; Jones-Buchanan, Parcell, Singleton, Walters, Delaney, Ormondroyd. Subs: Smith, Dwyer, Garbutt, Oledzki.

Half-time: 4-6 Referee: R Hicks Attendance: 5,519