WINGER Corey Thompson crossed for a hat-trick as Widnes produced a magnificent display of attacking rugby to thrash Leeds Rhinos 56-12 at the Select Security Stadium.

Ten tries to two is a fair indication of the Vikings superiority as they totally outclassed the current Super League champions and ran up theoir highest ever score against their illustrious opponents.

And Thompson wasn't the only man in prime form.

Skipper Kevin Brown proved once again why he is one of the best playmakers in the competition and found the perfect foil in half-back partner Joe Mellor.

Hooker Lloyd White was another star performer with his expert distribution, incisive running and solid defence.

Up front the likes of Hep Cahill, Gil Dudson, Eamon O'Carroll were more than a match for their opposite numbers.

After a couple of conservative early sets, the Vikings suddenly burst into life on five minutes.

Centre Charly Runciman received the ball 10 metres from the Leeds line and held off opposite number Kallum Watkins while delivering a great backdoor pass for wing partner Stefan Marsh to cross. Rhys Hanbury's superb touchline goal made it 6-0.

The only surprise about Widnes' next try four minutes later was that it took so long to come!

After a couple of near misses it was Lloyd White's bullet pass that gave Setaimata Sa a stroll under the posts.

The Vikings third try quickly followed as Sa and Chris Bridge engineered the space for Australian Thompson to cross for his first try for the club.

Committed defence repelled a spell of Leeds pressure and on 27 minutes White finished off at the posts after Brown had made the initial inroads.

Hanbury's third goal made it 22-0 and five minutes before the break a further six points were added when sublime interplay between Chris Dean and Hanbury was finished off by Runciman.

A series of penalties for interference at the play-the-ball put Widnes under pressure in the final minutes of the half and with the hooter imminent Watkins pulled a six-pointer back for the visitors.

If a 22-point deficit wasn't enough for the Rhinos to worry about during half-time, having three injured players unable to return to then fray added to their woes.

The Vikings were in no mood for sympathy.

A 50-metre Brown break saw him link up with Mellor who put Thompson in for his second try with a long bouncing pass.

Hanbury converted and was on target again on 50 minutes after Sa broke clear to put Mellor over.

Thompson's hat-trick score was presented to him on a plate by opposite number Ryan Hall who fumbled a kick behind his own tryline.

The rout continued when Marsh bagged his second try from Brown's pinpoint kick to make it 56-6.

To say Rob Burrow's late converted try for Leeds was a consolation would probably be over-egging the pudding.

Widnes: Hanbury; Thompson, Bridge, Runciman, Marsh; Mellor, Brown; O'Carroll, White, Dudson, Sa, Farrell, Houston. Subs: Dean, Manuokafoa, Cahill, Heremaia.

Leeds: Hardaker; Briscoe, Watkins, Moon, Hall; Sutcliffe, Riley; Galloway, Burrow, Cuthbertson, Ferres, Ablett, Delaney. Subs: Singleton, Garbutt, Keinhorst, Golding.

Half-Time: 28-6

Referee: G Stokes

Attendance: 6,596