Inquest into death of woman who fell unwell in Cheshire Police custody

A woman became unwell at Blacon Custody Suite <i>(Image: Google Maps)</i>
A woman became unwell at Blacon Custody Suite (Image: Google Maps)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

AN inquest has been opened following the death of a woman who became unwell while in Cheshire Police custody.

It comes after the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) launched an investigation following a mandatory referral from Cheshire Police.

Dionne Cecile Wilson, who was born in London and lived in Chester city centre, died at the Countess of Chester Hospital on August 4 aged 46

An inquest into her death was formally opened at Warrington Coroner’s Court on Wednesday.

A coroner officer explained to the court that at 5.30pm on August 3, Cheshire Police attended the Countess of Chester Hospital to assist staff.

Officers intervened and assisted the woman, identified as Dionne Wilson, into a taxi to take her home.

A short time later, police were called to a residential street in Chester following reports of a disturbance.

Ms Wilson was arrested and taken into police custody, where she became unwell and was conveyed to the Countess of Chester Hospital, where she passed away.

The coroner officer requested that an inquest be formally opened and adjourned to allow for further work to be completed.

It was said that the reason for an inquest being requested was there being reason to suspect that the cause of death was unnatural.

An internal case review by the coroner was fixed for February 1, 2027, ahead of a pre-inquest review on April 13 and a full inquest listed for June 8.

Concluding the brief hearing, Jacqueline Devonish, senior coroner for Cheshire, said: “On the evidence I have heard, I am satisfied that Dionne Cecile Wilson will require an inquest.

“I therefore formally open an inquest and adjourn it for a pre-inquest review to be heard on April 13, 2027.

“An inquest has been listed for June 8, 2027, and there will be an internal case review by the coroner on February 1, 2027.”

The IOPC previously said that a 46-year-old woman died in hospital on Tuesday, August 4, after suffering a medical episode at West Cheshire Custody Suite in Blacon.

Amanda Rowe, the IOPC’s director of engagement, said: "This was a tragic incident in which a woman has sadly died, and our thoughts are with her family and loved ones.

"Cheshire Police referred this matter to us and, as she was in the custody of police at the time she became unwell, it is important that there is a thorough and independent investigation.

"We will examine all relevant matters, including the interaction officers had with the woman prior to and after she arrived at the custody suite.

"We have made contact with her family to explain our role and will update them as our enquiries progress."

The IOPC said that its investigation began following a referral from the force on Wednesday, August 5.

Initial enquiries revealed that police first became involved with the woman on Monday, August 3, after receiving a call from A&E staff at Countess of Chester Hospital at 5.30pm.

Officers attended and assisted the woman, who had been discharged, into a taxi to return home.

A second call was received just before 7pm the same evening from the woman’s neighbours, who reported a disturbance outside their homes.

Officers attended the scene, arrested the woman, and transported her to custody.

She arrived at the custody suite just before 8pm but was taken back to hospital after being assessed by a healthcare practitioner.

The woman later returned to custody in the early hours of Tuesday, August 4, where she became unwell.

Paramedics were called and she was taken to hospital, where she died later that evening.

IOPC investigators attended the custody suite to gather evidence, including CCTV and body-worn video footage.

An independent investigation was formally declared at 11.45am on Wednesday, August 5.

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos