TRIBUTES have been paid to a former Runcorn head teacher who has sadly died.

Fred Evans - originally from Wrexham - died aged 80 on Saturday, February 5 following a short illness.

Mr Evans had been a long-serving volunteer at his beloved Hawarden Rangers Football Club.

He was life president there and was the first-ever chairman when the Rangers' under-12's team was formed in 1985.

Away from the football pitch, Mr Evans was well-known for having been a head teacher at both Grange Comprehensive School in Runcorn and Stanney High School in Ellesmere Port. 

A tribute to Mr Evans from Hawarden Rangers Football Club read: "It is with great sadness that we share news that our Life President, Fred Evans has passed away.

"He was our biggest supporter and would often be seen at the Gladstone supporting all of our teams but was an ever present for our Vets team.

"A proud husband, Dad and Grandad to many current players and managers we send our love and thoughts to the Evans family at this sad time."

Many others took the time to pay tribute to Mr Evans underneath the football club's post.

Toni Dale wrote: "He was the headmaster at the school I attended, he was a great man."

Ashley Walker added: "Sad news, great guy.. thoughts with the Evans family."

Sam Vaughan said: "He was such an amazing head teacher R.I.P Mr Evans."

Mr Evans' family said: "Hailing from the Wrexham area, Fred was well known throughout the communities of North Wales due to his involvement in local football, his voluntary work and his involvement in the church circuit.

"Fred dedicated his professional life to education in the Ellesmere Port area having served as headteacher at Grange Comprehensive and Stanney High throughout the 1980s and 1990s, before retiring in 1999.

"Fred also served as Chairman of Hawarden Rangers during that time before going on to take up the role of Club President. He remained a keen supporter of the club continuing to spend time following the senior and junior teams for whom his sons and grandchildren still play."

Mr Evans' funeral was held at the Pentrobin Methodist Church, on Friday, February 23.