A GANG of thugs started a street fight which ended with one member being slashed with a machete in broad daylight on a main street in Widnes.

After a disagreement outside Simms Cross pub on Widnes Road, Paul Parkes and Bradley Forsyth became involved in a brawl with Darren Blease-Maguire who was caught on CCTV swinging a machete towards Parkes in front of bystanders.

Parkes, 32 and Forsyth, 21, appeared before Liverpool Crown Court on Friday facing one charge of affray, with Forsyth facing further charges involving possession with intent to supply cannabis.

Prosecuting, Chris Hopkins outlined the facts of the incident which took place on October 22, 2022.

He told the courts how Forsyth approached Parkes, who was stood outside the pub, on his scooter at approximately 3.40pm.

In CCTV footage obtained and showed to the court, the pair could be seen speaking before the conversation seems to become heated and hands were raised.

Runcorn and Widnes World: The fight started with an argument between the pair outside Simms Cross pub in WidnesThe fight started with an argument between the pair outside Simms Cross pub in Widnes (Image: Google Maps)
The disagreement ended with Forsyth leaving on his scooter and Parkes ran after him.

Mr Hopkins detailed how 10 minutes later Parkes was stood with a group on Frederick Street. A fight soon broke out between Parkes, Forsyth and Blease-Maguire – with Forsyth throwing a punch at Parkes.

Blease-Maguire was seen in further CCTV footage pulling out a machete, said to be approximately 18-inches long, which he begins to swing in the direction of Parkes.

Parkes raises his arm and was hit by the blade and injured, much to the horror of a motorist who was sat at a pair of traffic lights nearby and witnessed the terrifying incident.

Forsyth retreated up the road, but the courts heard how Parkes refused to back down and continued to ‘square up’ to Blease-Maguire and a few blows were exchanged.

A bystander tried to intervene and break up the fight, Mr Hopkins told.

Forsyth and another man left the scene with Maguire. All three men were later arrested and following a police interview Forsyth said he was unaware that his acquaintance Blease-Maguire was armed with the weapon.

“It was a disgraceful incident in daylight in the street. A witness said she was terrified,” Mr Hopkins summarised.

Blease-Maguire, of Bancroft Road, Widnes, was arrested and later sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court on November 20, 2022, for charges of affray, assault occasioning actual bodily harm (ABH), and having a blade in public and was handed a 20-month prison sentence.

Mr Hopkins detailed further charges involving Forsyth, of Lacey Street, Widnes, which included charges of possession of criminal property and possession with intent to supply class B drugs, namely cannabis and ketamine.

He told how at 4pm on October 17, 2022, only days before the incident of affray, police were in patrol of an area in Widnes and attempted to stop Forsyth.

The defendant sprinted away from officers before they managed to detain him and he was found in possession of three wraps of cannabis.

Runcorn and Widnes World: Pictured: Darren Blease-Maguire Pictured: Darren Blease-Maguire (Image: Cheshire Police)

A search was carried out of his home and more cannabis was found including nine wraps worth a street value of £220, a further 5.3 grams of the drug and 13.7 grams of ketamine worth upwards of £300. A mobile phone was also recovered from the home which was said to have flare messages relating to the sale of both drugs.

Forsyth pleaded guilty to all charges and has previous convictions relating to 14 offences.

Defending Parkes in relation to the charges of affray, Mr Lloyd said a guilty plea was entered on the day of trial.

Referring to the injuries his client sustained in the incident he said, “He now has pinned plates in his hand for life. He was the only person who was directly injured by that machete.”

Mr Lloyd told the courts that Parkes is illiterate and is a dad-of-two. He added: “It is no surprise that this offence started outside a public house.”

Defending for Forsyth, Ms Channery said: “He is still only just 21 years of age. He was remanded in custody since September.

“His partner has given birth, and he has spent a few short weeks with the baby before he was remanded in custody. He wants to be there and provide for all of them.”

Referring to the affray charge, she added: “It was a shocking incident, and he is remorseful and regrets his part in that.”

Before sentencing, Record Martin Reid said: “Both of you were involved in a serious incident in fighting in the street. One of the offenders had a machete. You Mr Parkes were injured by the machete but kept on fighting.

“It has no place in a safe and civilised society.”

Mr Reid sentenced Forsyth to 17 months in prison, suspended for 18 months. He was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work and 30 days of rehabilitation as well as to be put under a monitoring requirement.

Parkes, of no fixed address, was handed a seven-month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months and was ordered to attend a mental health treatment regime for 12 months as well as having to carry out 30 days of rehabilitation.