FORMER Widnes Challenge Cup winning prop Glyn Shaw has died, aged 71.

The Welsh packman joined Widnes from Neath in 1977 - and went on to make 140 appearances in four years, scoring 18 tries.

With his trademark headband, the no-nonsense, mobile prop played tough and aggressive in a front row featuring compatriot Jim Mills.

They were good days for the Cup Kings and Glyn collected a drawer full of medals of every kind in Chemics colours.

In that time at Naughton Park he won Challenge Cup twice, first in 1979 when the Chemics beat Wakefield Trinity 12-3, and then again in 1981 with the 18-9 victory over Hull Kingston Rovers.

He played in the 19-5 win over Bradford in the 1980 Premiership Final.

He also won Lancashire Cup honours, playing in the 1978 and 1979 Final victories, both against Workington Town, 15-13 and 11-10 respectively.

In the John Player Trophy, he played in the 1979 Final win where Widnes beat Warrington 16-4.

Runcorn and Widnes World:

He moved on to Wigan in 1981, later representing Warrington and Rochdale Hornets, before settling in Widnes and coaching West Bank Bears after retiring from playing.

Glyn won seven caps for Wales, making his debut against France in 1978, and one cap for Great Britain, playing against New Zealand in 1980.

Born on April 11, 1951, Glyn was educated at Cwmddulais Secondary School and started off in rugby union with Seven Sisters.

He won youth caps for Wales before joining Neath in 1970, where he became one of their greatest ever forwards.

He played for Wales B in 1971, and a year later, he helped Neath to win the inaugural WRU National Cup.

In December 1972, he won the first of his 12 full WRU caps, playing in the narrow 19-16 loss to the All Blacks at Cardiff Arms Park. He won Five Nations honours with Wales in 1973.

He went on to win further representative rugby union honours with Neath & Aberavon Combined, West Glamorgan, West Wales and Crawshays before turning professional with Widnes in 1977. He was captain of Neath at that time.

In rugby league, Glyn initially played a trial match for St Helens in 1975, a friendly against that year’s Wales World Cup side, but didn’t sign at the time, and returned to Neath (presumably without them finding out about this appearance).

Runcorn and Widnes World:

When he eventually turned professional, he had an equally successful career in rugby league as he did in union, making 240 first class appearances and scoring 24 tries. 

Further John Player Trophy honours came when he joined Wigan in 1981, playing in the 15-4 win over Leeds in the 1983 Final.

He made 63 appearances for Wigan, scoring twice, before joining Warrington in the 1984-85 season, making 15 appearances and scoring three tries. He finished his career with Rochdale Hornets in the 1985-86 season, playing eight times and scoring one try.

He was still highly recognised by the Neath Rugby Supporters Club, who installed him in their Hall of Fame in 2016.

Wales Rugby League chairman Brian Juliff, who played alongside Glyn for four of his Wales appearances, said: “Glyn was a good friend and teammate to me at both Wales and Wigan. He was a great character, an outstanding athlete and fearless competitor who was respected and admired throughout rugby league and rugby union.

"We will all miss Glyn’s presence, sense of humour and infectious personality. Condolences to all of Glyn’s family and RIP to a top man.”