SMOKE billowed from a house in Runcorn caused by burnt food.

Firefighters were called to a house in Charlton Close in Palacefields shortly after 8am yesterday.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews found a large amount of smoke caused by burnt food.

"They used a large fan to clear the smoke and were at the house for 20 minutes."

READ > Transit driver arrested for drug driving on M62

Cooking also set off a smoke alarm at a house on Rossall Road in Widnes shortly before 5.15pm last night.

Firefighters attended and isolated a microwave.

Crews were at the scene for 20 minutes.