A MAN had to be rescued from his smoke filled flat in Widnes on Friday (May 7) night.

Fire crews from both Widnes and Penketh responded to reports of a fire at property in Albert Court shortly after 9pm.

On arrival, firefighters found the property was heavily smoke logged and they had to use a large fan to disperse the smoke.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Fire crews attended to reports of a fire at a flat in Widnes.

"One man inside the flat was led to safety by crews and handed to the care of paramedics believed to be suffering from smoke inhalation."