A MAN has been jailed for eight years after stabbing his friend with a screwdriver and a pair of scissors.

Mark Collins inflicted a ‘vicious and sustained’ attack on the man in his own home in Widnes.

Liverpool Crown Court heard on Friday that the 33-year-old attended the flat on Dean Street at around 10pm on July 31 this year.

After being let inside the property by the occupant, who was in his 20s, Collins grabbed a screwdriver from on top of a shelving unit before demanding money and stabbing the victim twice in his side – once with the screwdriver and one with the scissors, which were also in the apartment.

The defendant, of Albert Road, then ‘threw the victim around’ the address and strangled him.

He fled the attack by climbing out the window and ran to a friend’s home to seek help, being released from hospital the following day after receiving treatment.

Collins ran from the police when officers attended his house, but was arrested in the Appleton areas on the evening of August 5 after a ‘sustained manhunt’.

Detective constable Rob Catterall, who led the investigation, said: “Mark Collins subjected the victim to a vicious and sustained assault in a bid to steal money from him.

“The victim sustained two puncture wounds to his side, as well as minor injuries to his neck, stomach and arm, before managing to escape Collins’ clutches.

“He had no idea that he was going to be assaulted when he let Collins into the flat, and the frightening ordeal he was forced to endure understandably left him extremely shaken up.

“I am delighted that Collins is now behind bars facing the consequences of his actions, and I hope that the culmination of this case and the length of the custodial sentence he has received gives his victim some closure and enables him to begin to move forward with his life.

“I also hope that this case and the sentence imposed by Liverpool Crown Court deters others from committing similar offences.”

Collins, who admitted wounding with intent, was also given an additional four years on licence following his release from prison.

Cheshire police and crime commissioner David Keane added: “Considering the nature of the assault he was subjected to, the victim in this case is lucky to have not sustained more serious injuries.

“Violent incidents of this nature are completely unacceptable, and I would like to thank the officers who have been involved in securing this conviction for their hard work and dedication.

“I hope that this case reassures residents that Cheshire Constabulary is committed to bringing violent offenders to justice and making our communities safer places to live, work and visit.”