FIREFIGHTERS attended a property in Widnes after a carbon monoxide alarm was activated late last night, Sunday.

The crew from Widnes Fire Station was called out to Batherton Close at 10.39pm, where they used a gas detector to confirm the presence of the gas.

Firefighters isolated the gas supply to the property and assessed the male occupant, who was administered oxygen.

The man was handed over to the care of paramedics before being taken to hospital.

Firefighters also used the gas detector inside a neighbouring address, but no carbon monoxide was detected.

A gas company attended the address which did contain carbon monoxide to establish the source and make the property safe.

Firefighters were in attendance for more than an hour and a half.