A GYM was evacuated after a fire broke out.

Two fire engines were called to the gymansium on High Street, Runcorn at around 11.30am on Saturday (February 15) following reports of smoke issuing from an electrical socket.

The building was evacuated while crews investigated the source of the smoke, which was coming from a cupboard inside the hair salon unit at the premises.

Firefighters used two breathing apparatus and a dry powder extinguisher on the affected area.

Once the electrics had been isolated, a hose reel was used to ensure there was no fire spread.

Crews also checked the neighbouring premises for any further signs of fire.

Once satisfied the fire was completely extinguished, crews used a large fan to disperse the smoke from the premises.

The crews were in attendance for around an hour and a half in total.