HOME safety advice has been issued after a chimney pot caught fire in Widnes.

Firefighters were called to a report of a fire in Minton Way, Farnworth at 8.30pm on Tuesday.

On arrival they found embers coming out of the chimney pot.

A chimney hose and rods were to fight the fire from the ground. An inspection of the property, including the loft space, took place to make sure the fire had not spread.

A thermal imaging camera to look for hotspots. Firefighters were in attendance for around 50 minutes.

There were no reports of injuries.

Outlining the importance of keeping your chimneys clear, a statement on the Cheshire fire service website read: "With colder nights ahead, now is the time to get your chimney swept.

"Make sure your chimney is clean before the colder winter months set in and you begin to use your fire and chimneys again. Fires can start accidentally in your chimney.

"Soot and fuel residues slowly build up in chimneys over time and sometimes these leftovers can catch fire.

"If this happens, the chimney could send burning soot into your living room or start fires within the roof space or on other floors of the house.

"Even if it doesn't burn the house down, a chimney fire can cause a huge mess.

"You can help prevent this by having your chimney swept regularly."

Chimney safety tips include:

Clean your chimney and flue regularly

Make sure embers are properly put out before you go to bed

Always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers

If the worst should happen, a smoke alarm can give you the extra time you need to escape a house fire.

"A blocked or defective chimney can cause both chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisonings so it's very important to employ a professional qualified Chimney Sweep.

"Overnight burning or smouldering wood for long periods in wood stoves

"Complete our online home safety check and you will get a personalised fire safety plan, which will offer advice on how to prevent fires in your home.

"Do the online home safety check."

For advice on how to avoid a chimney fire visit https://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/home-safety/chimneys.