TWO people and a cat were evacuated from an upstairs flat during a blaze at a Widnes chip shop.

Firefighters were called to the fire in Appleton Village on Thursday night.

Four fire engines attended - one from Widnes, two from Penketh and one from Runcorn. Firefighters were in attendance for over six hours.

Wearing four breathing apparatus, a covering jet was used to extinguish the flames which had begun from an electrical box.

The people evacuated from the flat were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics.

Crews checked the fire had not spread to nearby properties before using a large fan to disperse the smoke.