A LIVERPOOL man has been jailed for 22 months after he threatened a Runcorn teenager and stole his motorbike.

Mantas Savickas, of Wellbrook Green in Liverpool, pleaded guilty to robbery at Chester Crown Court on Tuesday, May 7.

At around 2pm on Tuesday, March 5, Savickas walked up to the 18-year-old victim on Mooring Close in Runcorn, threatened him and demanded his motorbike.

The victim got off his bike and then Savickas pushed it to the nearby Runcorn Amateur Boxing Club car park.

After managing to get the bike started, he then rode off towards woodland near Gorsewood Road.

The robbery was then reported to police and the bike was recovered from a property in Murdishaw later that day.

No-one was in the address in Talisman Close when the bike was recovered, but the property contained a letter addressed to Savickas.

CCTV footage showed Savickas and fellow Liverpool man Darren Garbe in the area at the time the bike was stolen.

The footage also showed them in possession of the motorbike after the robbery had taken place and forensic tests revealed that the bike contained traces of their DNA.

They were both arrested on Monday, April 8.

He pleaded not guilty to possessing a bladed article in a public place and was acquitted of the offence following a trial.

The 21-year-old was sentenced at Chester Crown Court yesterday (Tuesday, September 24).

He was jailed for 22 months, given a four-year restraining order preventing him from coming into contact with the victim of the robbery in any way and ordered to pay a £140 victim surcharge.

Garbe, of Greyhound Farm Road, Liverpool, was subsequently charged with possessing stolen goods.

The 19-year-old denied the charge but was convicted of the offence in a joint trial with Savickas.

Garbe was sentenced at Chester Crown Court today, Wednesday 25 September.

He was handed a six-month sentence at a young offenders’ institution and ordered to pay a £115 victim surcharge.

Following sentencing, Detective Constable Phil Brown said: “Mantas Savickas subjected the victim to a terrifying ordeal, stealing his motorbike after threatening him.

“Thankfully we were able to recover the bike and return it to its owner.

“We were also able to identify the man who stole the bike, as well as a man who later possessed it.

“The two men have now been brought to justice. I would like to thank all the officers involved in this case for their hard work in securing the convictions, which I hope will bring some closure to the victim.

“I also hope that the sentences handed out by the courts to Savickas and Darren Garbe serve as a deterrent to other people and stops them from committing similar crimes.”