A DISCARDED cigarette caused two wheelie bins to go on fire in Widnes.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to Avondale Drive at around 12.50am today (Tuesday, September 10) following reports of a fire.

One fire engine attended and found two wheelie bins well alight.

A hose reel jet was used to put out the fire which is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette.

Now firefighters are urging residents to find out how to keep a bin safe from a blaze by visiting their website: https://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/home-safety/wheelie-bin-fire-safety/how-to-prevent-a-wheelie-bin-fire