RESIDENTS were evacuated after a chip shop fire in Widnes.

Emergency services were called to a chip shop on Moorfield Road at 11.20am today (Thursday, September 5) following reports on an industrial frying range catching fire.

Two fire engines from Penketh and Widnes attended the scene and evacuated the building, including a first floor flat.

Although the fire was out on arrival, smoke was still coming from the building's roof tiles.

After investigating the building firefighters found smouldering in the loft space and removed the tiles from the affected area.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus then used a hose reel jet to damp down the scene and used a thermal imaging camera to monitor the temperature.