TWO people were taken to hospital after a house fire in Widnes.

Emergency services were called at around 5am today (Monday, June 3) following reports of a fire at a property on Lacey Street.

Three fire engines attended the scene and discovered the fire in a first floor bedroom.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a main jet and hose reel jet to put out the flames.

The fire is believed to have been started accidentally by a candle.

Two people were taken to hospital for further checks.

Crews were on scene for around two hours.