A DISCARDED cigarette caused a fire in the garden of a Widnes home.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service were called at around 10.15am today (Thursday, May 16) following reports of a fire in a garden of a property on Borrowdale Road.

Two fire engines attended from Penketh and Congleton and on arrival discovered that a wheelie bin was well alight.

The fire had also spread to a garden shed, panel fence and a nearby UPC door.

Firefighters used one hose reel jet to extinguish the flames and were at the scene for around 45 minutes.

After an investigation, the fire is believed to have been started by a discarded cigarette.