FIREFIGHTERS attended a house fire in Runcorn this morning, Thursday after a birthday card fell into a gas fire.

Shortly before 7.30am, firefighters from Runcorn and Widnes were called to reports of a house fire on Solway Grove.

On arrival at the scene the team discovered that a birthday card had fallen onto a gas fire causing a small fire in the living room.

The fire had been extinguished by the occupant, who was left extremely shaken as a result of the incident.

Paramedics were called to the scene and the occupant was treated for minor smoke inhalation.