HALTON Borough Council says it will review safety measures at all bodies of water in Runcorn and Widnes following the inquest into teenager Teya Davies’ death.

Fourteen-year-old Teya, from Hough Green, died after falling into a pond at Clincton Wood Nature Reserve in Widnes and drowning in August last year.

An inquest into the death of the Saints Peter and Paul Catholic College pupil on Monday, January 28, heard concerns over safety measures in place surrounding the nature reserve’s Sniggy Pond, where the youngster was killed.

Halton Borough Council owns three quarters of the Sniggy Pond, including the area in which Teya fell into the water.

Warrington Coroner’s Court heard that in spring 2017, the owner of the other quarter of the pond made alterations to it - leading to the water level being reduced, and a muddy bank where Teya was sat to be exposed.

But the only signs warning members of the public of the dangers of entering the water were in the car park of Clincton Wood.

And the council had removed all of its life rings from near to watercourses in the late 1990s, due to vandalism.

Heath Westerman, assistant coroner for Cheshire, oversaw the inquest into Teya’s death.

He said: “The manner of the tragedy that unfolded could have led to the death of three young women.

“If I consider that there is a risk of further deaths then actions should be taken to prevent this from happening again.

“I have no other choice – I do believe there is a risk of future deaths and that action could be taken.

“All I can do is express my concerns that action should be taken, I cannot say what that action should be – I will write to the relevant authorities who I believe could take action.”

The council has now confirmed that it will review all safety measures concerning water bodies in the borough.

A spokesman said: “We will wait to see what the coroner says in his letter to us.

“We will be reviewing safety at all of our water bodies.”

Teya, of Downside, visited the nature reserve on the afternoon of Saturday, August 4, with three of her friends.

Shortly before 6pm, she and another friend were sat by the edge of the pond when the latter fell into the water.

When Teya reached out to help her friend, she too fell into the pond and subsquently drowned.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Mr Westerman added: “Teya was a very, very brave girl who had tried to assist her friend who was in difficulty – tragically, this cost her her life.

“I am deeply sorry for your loss and offer my condolences to you – I hope you can move on in your grief and remember her for the lovely, brave girl she was.”