FIREFIGHTERS were called to reports of a kitchen fire in Widnes last night, Friday, caused by an unattended cooker.

Shortly before 7pm firefighters were alerted to a fire involving a grill pan at a property in Gleadmere.

The grill pan was well alight on arrival and all persons were accounted for.

The fire had started as a result of a cooker being left unattended.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire with a hose and crews then used a large high pressure fan to clear smoke from the property.

Firefighters also used a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots and make sure that the area affected by the fire was safe.

They were in attendance for around an hour.

For grill pan fire safety advice visit

For kitchen fire safety tips see