MOORE has a remarkable link to to the tomb of the unknown soldier in London.

The tomb, based in Westminster Abbey, is a tribute to the fallen in the First World War.

On the 100th anniversary of the ceasefire, we have looked at how a Moore man played a pivotal role in setting the memorial up back in 1920.

The British Government proposed that the body of an unknown soldier, sailor or airman should be interred in Westminster Abbey to symbolise all who had sacrificed their lives for the country but had no known grave.

Eventually a small number of bodies were exhumed from the sites of the major British battlefield areas of the Western Front and taken to a chapel in Northern France where the coffins were draped with Union Jacks.

The commander of British troops in France and Flanders, Brigadier General Louis John Wyatt (who had lived and was married in Moore) selected one at random.

The chosen body was taken to be interred in the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey on November 11, 1920 on the second anniversary of Armistice Day.

Earlier that morning King George V unveiled the Cenotaph memorial in Westminster at 11am.

Wyatt was born in London in 1874.

We don’t know how he met his wife Gipsy (Marion) but her dad William Sloane and the rest of the family were living in The Beeches, Moore, since 1902.

William owned the Mersey White Lead Company in Warrington.

It is not known when Louis met Gipsy but their engagement was announced in The Manchester Courier on October 9 1903.

They were married the following year at All Saints, Daresbury. It was a festive occasion, celebrated by both villages, with a reception for 200 guests at The Beeches.

Louis and Marion had two daughters, Patricia and Laetitia.

We don’t know when Louis left the army, but he took up various directorships and moved to Kirby Lonsdale with his family.

In 1939, he was chair of John Hare (colours), Bristol, Director of the Mersey White Lead Company, Warrington and Director of the Moore Management Trust Ltd.

In 1945 he was appointed sheriff of Westmorland. He died in 1955, aged 80.