FIREFIGHTERS and paramedics were called to a suspected chemical leak at a business on Lister Road in Runcorn - which turned out to be a battery leaking acid.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire said two people have been taken to hospital as a precaution and two treated on-site by paramedics.

Crews were called at 3.45pm to a possible chemical leak after reports of a strong smell was coming from the IT server room.

This turned out to be a battery pack which was leaking battery acid. Staff were evacuated as a precaution.

Crews used two breathing apparatus while they isolated the battery pack and placed it on its side to prevent it leaking further.

The team then worked to contain the spillage and ventilate the building before leaving at 5.30pm