A MOTORBIKE caught fire in Runcorn.

Firefighters were called to Hoylake Close in Murdishaw at around 8.30pm last night.

Crews found an off-road motorbike well alight and used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

They then moved the vehicle to the side of the road and set up a small road closure.

Crews were at the scene for around 40 minutes.

Firefighters also tackled a grass fire on Stonehills Lane in Runcorn shortly before 9.30pm.

Crews used water and beaters to extinguish the fire which measured approximately three metres by 10 metres.

Firefighters believe the fire was started by cigarettes.

Earlier in the evening at around 5pm crews were called to a small fire in a wooded area at The Bongs on Moorfield Road in Widnes.

The fire involved a small amount of wood and is believed to have been started deliberately.

Crews used water to put out the fire and were at the scene for around 45 minutes.

Anyone with information should call the police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.