THREE brothers and their sister – including two from Runcorn - are running the Liverpool Rock and Roll Half Marathon in memory of their father who died following a sudden heart attack.

Ian, Ady and Graham Savage and sister Emma, will be raising money for TASC The Ambulance Staff Charity in tribute to the “unbelievable” paramedics who fought so hard to initially save their dad.

Paul Savage, 61, from Widnes, was resuscitated by ambulance staff on at least two occasions after his heart stopped beating following a cardiac arrest during a night last November.

Mr Savage then suffered three more heart attacks in the ambulance taking him to nearby Whiston Hospital, only to again be revived on each occasion.

Sadly, he passed away three days later.

Son Ian, 39, from Runcorn, has now enrolled his siblings – including brother Ady from Runcorn - in a marathon on Sunday, May 20.

His brother Martyn will be looking after their mum Jennifer on the day so is unable to take part.

Their spouses and partners – and their eight children – will also be running in the one mile support race on the same day.

Ian has received a £500 donation from his employers, CF Fertilisers, near Chester, plus a £280 collection from his workmates.

Ian aid: “Our dad passed away from a massive heart attack last November. It was in the middle of the night so our mum called an ambulance.

"When the paramedics arrived dad had stopped breathing, but they resuscitated and stabilised him twice.

“There were five paramedics in two ambulances and a first responder who were unbelievable in keeping him alive.

"They were exhausted taking it in turns to resuscitate him. He then had three more heart attacks in the ambulance from his home to the hospital.

"The professionalism of these people was amazing and we have so much admiration for them.”

Ian said his dad had apparently suffered a number of minor heart attacks in the past which they didn’t know about.

“Sadly he didn’t improve and he passed away three days later," he said. "It was the lack of oxygen to the brain when he stopped breathing that proved fatal in the end.”

The family had a collection at the funeral to support the intensive care unit at Whiston Hospital but then decided to use the half marathon, which they had already entered, to raise money for TASC.

“I have two friends who are paramedics so I know what they go through," added Ian. "As well as thanking the paramedics who cared for our dad, who were nothing short of heroes, we also wanted to make everyone aware of what the ambulance service provides for all of us.”

To donate visit

For information about TASC The Ambulance Staff Charity visit