A MAN was taken to hospital in the early hours of this morning, Wednesday, for smoke inhalation.

Three fire engines were sent to a property around 2.30am on Irwell Street in Widnes where they found fumes believed to have been caused by cooking.

A man was given first aid for smoke inhalation by firefighters before paramedics treated him and he was taken to hospital.

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a large fan to extinguish the flames.

Crews were in attendance for around an hour.