AN INDIAN takeaway in Widnes has been shut down after cockroaches were discovered.

Raj Tandoori on Warrington Road in Widnes has been closed after an inspection by Halton Council environmental health officers found the premises was infested with cockroaches.

Officers were satisfied the premises posed an imminent risk of injury to health and closed it immediately using emergency powers following an inspection on December 19, 2017.

The council successfully applied to North Cheshire Magistrates Court for a hygiene emergency prohibition order which has the effect of closing the premises indefinitely until the council is satisfied that the health risk has been removed.

During the hearing on January 9, the court heard that officers identified that the infestation was active throughout the premises by using monitoring traps that had been placed during a previous visit.

At the time of the closure the premises scored zero on the national food hygiene rating scheme.

Halton Cllr Stef Nelson, board member for environmental services, said: “The majority of food premises in Halton comply with their food safety obligations - 95 per cent of premises achieve the top three hygiene ratings.

“However, there are a small number that do not take their responsibilities seriously.

"The environmental health team will take whatever action is necessary to protect public health. In this case the council had no option but to close the premises down.”