DRIVERS trying to register online for free tolls on the Mersey Gateway and Silver Jubilee when the Merseyflow call centre opened yesterday hit technical snags.

Some residents said the website crashed while others said they had problems trying to receive verification.

People are being urged to register as soon as possible as demand is expected to be high.

One Runcorn driver said: “They said they would send me a code on e-mail but it didn’t work. I ended up phoning them.”

Norma Murnane said: “Still not received my confirmational e-mail.”

Lesley McGillicuddy added: “It wouldn’t work for me.”

Anthony Alicastro, managing director of Merseyflow, said today: “Our launch day was very busy on the website and at our call centre and we know that some people weren’t able to register as quickly as we hoped.

"We’re very sorry if anyone was inconvenienced by that. As this is just day two of registration we are making minor modifications and improvements to the website.

"Anyone who has any queries about their registration process should e-mail and we’ll help clear any confusion or concern.

"If you haven’t registered yet you should have a look at and look at our frequently asked questions to see which discount package is best for you.”

A walk in centre has opened in Manor Park, Runcorn for anyone wishing to register in person or call 01928 878878.

A registration service will also be available at Halton Direct Link on Brook Street, Widnes from Monday.

Merseylink has answered some questions Halton residents have been asking:

Q. I live in Halton with my partner. We have two vehicles both registered in my partners name. Can we register them both for the local user discount scheme?

A. Under the local user discount scheme only one vehicle can be registered per person. In this situation, you may want to contact the DVLA to transfer the registration on one of the vehicles into the name of another eligible person living in the same house who also qualifies for the local user discount scheme. That way you will be able to register both vehicles, providing you meet all the other eligibility criteria.

Q. My council tax bill is in my partner’s name – am I still eligible to register my car for the local user discount scheme?

A. Yes, if your Halton council tax bill is in the name of another family member that is not a problem. You can still use this to register for the local user discount scheme as long as you meet all the other eligibility criteria. The key thing is that your address matches across all three documents and that the V5C registration form and the driving licence are both in your name.

Q. I’m a resident of Halton and I meet all the criteria but I drive a company car so I don’t have a V5C form – can I still apply?

A. Yes, as long as the vehicle is a car or small van and you meet all the other eligibility criteria.

You will need to provide us with a copy of a letter from your employer on company headed note paper that contains the information below:

• the vehicle registration

• the company name

• the company address

• your name

• confirmation that the company car must be for your sole use only and is kept at your home address in Halton.

There is a downloadable template document on the merseyflow website you can use to make this as simple as possible.