WIDNES gained their first ever league point in Perpignan as they came from behind to draw 14-14 with Catalans Dragons.

The heavens opened before the game making open rugby virtually impossible at Stade Gilbert Brutus.

It was a show of enormous character by the Vikings who looked like they were yet again going to draw a blank as they went 14-0 down in the first half.

But Denis Betts' men fought back bravely and may even feel they could have taken both points in the end.

In the early stages it was a case of who would adjust to the conditions the quickest and that was clearly the Dragons.

They opened the scoring on six minutes when centre Brayden Wiiliame hit a short ball at pace and charged over from 20 metres.

Luke Walsh's conversion made it 6-0 and the lead was quickly doubled when Richie Myler hacked on a loose ball before diving over against his hometown club.

Paul Aiton went close to further enhancing the Catalans lead but lost the ball as he crossed the whitewash but after a Myler 40/20 had set up the position, a Luke Walsh penalty made it 14-0.

Having barely had a sniff of the opposition line, the Vikings finally established some field position in the latter minutes of the first half and a training ground move saw winger Patrick Ah Van crash in for a six-pointer to make the half-time score 14-6.

Eight minutes into the second period, Catalans fullback Thomas Bosc fumbled a Chris Bridge grubber kick and Vikings second row forward Tom Olbison was on hand to touch down to reduce the arrears to four points.

A Lloyd White break thratened the home line again but Rhys Hanbury's pass was batted down by a Dragons defender with the line beckoning.

Myler went close again for the Dragons but Corey Thompson just beat him to a loose ball in the Widnes in-goal.

A spell of Catalans pressure was broken as Hanbury was first to react to a Chris Bridge grubber kick and his touchdown levelled things up.

The latter stages saw both sides have chances to take the spoils with Widnes going close through Bridge and Walsh failing with a drop goal attempt for the Dragons.

In the end, a draw was probably a fair result.

Catalans: Bosc; Broughton, Inu, Williame, Thornley; Walsh, Myler; Burgess, Aiton, Casty, Garcia, Horo, Bird. Subs: Anderson, Simon, Da Costa, Margalet.

Widnes: Hanbury; Thompson, Armstrong, Runciman, Ah Van; Bridge, Craven; Dudson, White, Buchanan, Whitley, Houston, Cahill. Subs: Heremaia, J Chapelhow, Olbison, Leuluai.

Half-Time: 14-6 Referee: Mr C Kendall