HEROIC defence was the order of the day as the Vikings gained their first ever win at Hull's KC Stadium by the unusual rugby league scoreline of 7-0.

Widnes conceded 72 points in the equivalent fixture in 2013 but they banished that memory in no uncertain terms.

To achieve a complete shut-out of the opposition is a rare feat in the modern game but every Vikings player looked hungry to achieve just that.

The conditions were a major factor with driving rain the order of the day.

But it was Denis Betts' men who handled the situation better, sticking to a simple gameplan backed up by the kicking of Tom Gilmore and Kevin Brown.

For Hull it was one of those days when the harder they tried, the worse they got.

Time after time they spilled the ball and every time it happened, Widnes's confidence grew even more.

A special mention should go to young half-back Tom Gilmore who should a level of composure that belied his expereince.

Not the least impressive aspect of Gilmore's play was the way he calmly slotted over a drop-goal four minutes from time to effectively end any hopes the home side had of getting something from the match.

The most important action of the first half happened in the opening minute.

The Vikings chose to kick early in their first set of six with skipper Jon Clarke launching the ball deep into the Hull 20-metre area.

Fullback Jordan Rankin fielded the ball for the home side but lost it in contact and Patrick Ah Van was on hand to scoop up and touch down wide out.

Danny Tickle couldn't add the extras but a 4-0 lead was a welcome gift for the Vikings.

Hull had a couple of opportunities to hit back up their left hand side but Kirk Yeaman and Fetuli Talanoa didn't seem to be singing from the same hymn-sheet.

Widnes also had their moments with Gilmore and Brown putting some testing kicks into the opposition in-goal area.

But neither side could quite find the killer touch and it remained 4-0 at the break.

Hull had a gilt-edged chance to score early in the second half but they yet again fumbled after a Widnes knock-on had left the line open.

One could almost sense the belief draining from Lee Radford's men as the match wore on and when the Vikings were awarded a kickable penalty, Ah Van obliged to extend the lead by two points.

He then fell short with a long range attempt which would have closed the game out but he needn't have worried.

Gilmore was on hand to land his one-pointer from 25 metres and send Vikings fans back across the Pennines with a smile on their faces.

Hull:: Rankin; Colbon, Arundel, Yeaman, Talanoa; Heremaia, Horne; Watts, Houghton, Ellis, Tuson, Whiting, Westerman. Subs: Paleaeasina, Thompson, Crooks, Hadley.

Widnes: Hanbury; Flynn, Phelps, Dean, Ah Van; Brown, Gilmore; Kavanagh, Clarke, Joseph, Galea, Tickle, Gerrard. Subs: White, Isa, Joseph, Lloyd.

Referee: B Thaler