Runcorn Town stretched their unbeaten league run to sixteen games with a convincing 5-2 win at Aintree Villa.

Town opened well with Simon Burton just offside when a Kyle Hamid pass put him clear of the Aintree defence. The home side also looked lively and Karl Wills denied them a goal with a good save by going full length to hold a shot bound for the bottom corner.

Ian Robinson put Town ahead in the 9th minute, latching onto Hamid's accurate ball to fire the ball into the top corner giving the keeper no chance to get anywhere near it. Hamid was in great form and from his defence splitting pass, Jason Carey raced clear but the keeper went full length to grab the ball at his feet for an impressive save.

Town went 2-0 up in the 26th minute with a superbly worked goal. Danny Dalton combined with Hamid and Ste Latham, with Hamid finding space on the right touchline. The midfielder turned quickly to fire a low hard cross into Burton who side footed home from 6 yards - the speed and accuracy of the move leaving the Aintree defence flat footed and wide open.

The West Cheshire League leaders were passing the ball well at this stage and it came as no surprise when Carey hammered home a pass from Burton to make it 3-0 after 33 minutes with his 23rd goal of the season. As half time approached, Carey had a great chance to make it four from Dean Woolley's cross but he somehow scooped the ball over the crossbar from three yards with the goal at his mercy.

It was the home team who started the second half strongly and from the kick off put the Town defence under constant pressure. Town were equal to everything though with reserve team defender David Graven, who was called up to the first team in place of the suspended Greg Byrne, forming a strong partnership with Woolley at the back.

The home team were awarded a penalty in the 50th minute when Dalton mistimed his tackle, but from the resultant spot kick keeper Karl Wills did well to smother the ball at the foot of the upright. Aintree got back into the game a minute later though when John Gladwell scored from close range with Town's defence out of position exposing Danny Salt on the left.

Paul Allen replaced the injured Robinson at this point, and was quickly followed by Aarron Brown replacing Carey. The substitutions had an impact on the game and Town looked dangerous whenever they attacked. Brown was denied by a point blank save, then minutes later he broke through the home defence only to shoot wide of the target. Allen also found Burton in the box who hammered the ball over the crossbar.

The keeper saved well from Brown who was causing Aintree's defence all sorts of problems. Town got their fourth in the 62nd minute with the goal of the game.

Allen started the move wide on the left whipping in a cross to Burton who dummied the ball into the path of Brow. He hit it first time bringing a full length save from the Aintree keeper, with Kyle Hamid having the easiest of tasks to knock the ball into the empty net.

Aintree pulled another goal back after 71 minutes when Town lost the ball on the halfway line, with the home side breaking quickly and Ian Woodward slotting home from 15 yards.

Town weren’t finished with the Aintree keeper twice denying Brown the goal his play deserved with quality saves. Burton then fired wildly over with Hamid better placed for a simple pass.

It was Burton who completed the scoring in the 87th minute after he was put through by Latham. His shot beat the keeper but not the post, with the forward following up for a simple tap in for his 19th of the season.