Town started the game brightly but fell behind to Richmond's first shot on target in the 12th minute of the game. A free kick from the left hand side of the pitch was flicked goalwards by John Starkey, with the ball looping in the top right hand corner with midfielder Rob Darlington on the post helpless to stop it.

Despite the setback Town continued to exert good pressure onto Richmond with Ben Butler finding good space down the left and Connor Anderson spreading the ball well in the middle. It was these two who linked to create an opening for Butler after 19 minutes with his shot deflected wide for a corner, with Butler also heading this wide of the right hand post.

Town's equaliser came after 24 minutes with Dave Jolley finding the net for the sixth time in three games. Martin Daly's excellent ball cut apart the defence with Jolley racing onto it and keeping his composure to find the corner of the net.

A near identical move six minutes later almost gave Town the lead with Jolley put clear by Darlington, but the forward took too long trying to get the ball under control in the muddy conditions with a defender getting back to clear.

Richmond went ahead three minutes before half time with a chip from the left corner of the box from Mike Sullivan that Carl Williams maybe could have done better with.

Both teams struggled to create much in the second half, perhaps because of lack of recent games and a pitch that was very soft and muddy in places following the recent bad weather.

Town should have had a penalty in the 69th minute when Jolley was hacked down in the box with the referee waving play on despite large protests from the home team and the crowd.

Three minutes later Town did draw level with Butler controlling a cross from the right on the edge of the box and threading a lovely ball through to Anderson. He waiting for the keeper to commit himself before supplying a deft chip which beat the keeper and crept in under the bar.

Richmond had the better chances to win it late on, particularly from set pieces, with Williams atoning for his earlier error with two point blank saves. And when he was beaten with five minutes remaining, luck was on his side with the ball rebounding back off the crossbar.