West Cheshire League One leaders Runcorn Town were held to a surprising goalless draw at home to lowly Blacon Youth Club, with the Chester side picking up just their second result of the season and ending an eight match losing streak in the process.

In a game that Town were expected to win comfortably, they were on top for virtually all of the opening half hour but failed to turn their possession into goals. Kyle Hamid saw his in swinging corner punched from under the crossbar then Joe Davies headed onto the crossbar with an open goal in front of him. Leading scorer Jason Carey then blasted wide as Runcorn continued to create chances.

Blacon had just one opportunity but almost took the lead from it but Danny Dalton was on hand to stretch out his leg and block a certain goal from Will Collins’ shot. Carey then had what looked like a perfectly good goal disallowed when the referee awarded Blacon a free kick for pushing, with even Blacon amazed at the decision with their defender slipping on the greasy surface.

Carey was causing the visitors defence many problems but his finishing was not up to his usual high standard. Blacon finished the half well with a period of pressure on the Runcorn goal and Karl Wills did well to hold a 20yd volley from Collins and then blocked a shot from Mike Machin following a corner on the left. Town had the last chance of the half with a 25-yard shot from Ste Latham that flew inches over the bar with the keeper well beaten.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the 1st with Town in control but Blacon always looking likely to snatch a goal. Carey fired wide with Simon Burton and Davies both unmarked in the area, and Jon McEvoy saw his powerful shot fly inches wide of the upright.

Town then thought they had a definite penalty when Burton went through and was felled by the keeper as he rounded him. With Town expecting a penalty and a sending off the referee instead awarded Blacon a goal kick and booked Burton for diving.

With time running out, manager Nick Armitage introduced Paul Glynn and debutant Paul Allen in a last gasp effort to get all 3 points, but they could not break down the stubborn Blacon defence for the decisive goal.

Town: K.Wills, M.Toohey, D.Salt, D.Woolley, D.Dalton, S.Latham, J.McEvoy, K.Hamid, J.Carey, S.Burton, J.Davies Subs: I.Robinson, P.Glynn, P.Allen