Runcorn Town Reserves 6 - 2 Southport Trinity Reserves

First published in Sport

Town Reserves came from behind to secure 3 more league points to retain their lead at the top of West Cheshire League 3.

Southport Trinity started much the brighter however, and took the lead on 10 minutes with a 25-yard wonder strike from midfielder Lee Welsh. This spurred Town into immediate improvement, with Aarron Brown heading straight at the keeper from 6 yards following a corner on the left. This was followed a minute later by a fine save from a Robbie Davies effort. Town continued to dominate and Peter Murphy almost netted on 20 minutes with a cross-cum-shot which went narrowly wide of the right-hand upright. The equaliser came in the 27th minute from an unlikely source - Mark Tudor with an accomplished finish from fully 10 yards following a goalmouth melee, and Town took the lead in the 34th minute with a fine finish from a tight angle by Brown. Their first half dominance gave the half-time score line more realistic when Connor Anderson tapped into an empty net on 44 minutes following a defensive mishap between centre half & goalkeeper.

Half Time score - Town Reserves 3 Southport Trinity 1 Town started the 2nd half as they finished the first and nearly scored immediately following a smart one-two between Anderson & Brown. They scored goal number 4 in the 52nd minute with Brown's 2nd when his well struck shot from the edge of the box was deflected into the bottom corner, although goal bound before deflection ( according to Aarron ! ). The game then went stale for a good quarter of an hour before Manager Rod Looker put on fresh legs, with dividend returns after 70 minutes when Martin Daly's outstretched right leg beat the keeper to the ball on the penalty spot and rolled over the line with two defenders agonisingly close to clearing. Southport Trinity, to their credit, continued to create the odd chance and their efforts were rewarded with a 2nd goal after 73 minutes when an unmarked Sean Curlett placed the ball into an empty net from 8 yards - this again seemed to wake Town up and they went 6-2 up almost immediately with a fine finish by substitute Wayne Conway following great work by another of Looker's substitutes Ben Butler.

Final Score - Town Reserves 6 Southport Trinity Reserves 2 Man-of-the-match for Town was David Graven Man-of-the-match for Trinity was Lee Welsh Referee was Anthony Canavan


Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree