DANNY Craven and Joe Mellor both crossed for a brace of tries as Widnes swept aside London Broncos 38-16 at Halton Stadium.

The final scoreline was a fair reflection of the Vikings dominance as the pack completely dominated the opposition six.

Widnes boss Denis Betts was forced into a few changes from the previous week's game at Hull KR.

With Corey Thompson and Chris Dean out injured, Ed Chamberlain and Tom Gilmore came in wih Craven dropping back from half-back into the number one role.

Greg Burke also joined the forward pack with Manase Manuokafoa dropping out.

The Vikings made an inauspicious start as they made a mess of fielding a tricky kick-off but the resulting pressure was repelled.

The pattern of the game was quickly set with Widnes dominant up front.

However, the previous week's failing of not capitalising on pressure was also in evidence and it was the visitors who scored first when prop Mark Ioane barged over. Jarrod Sammut's goal made it 6-0.

The Vikings physical dominance eventually paid off when Gilmore and Mellor combined to send second row Matt Whitley in to pull four points back on 22 minutes.

Just three minutes later, more pressure saw Lloyd White dive under the posts from dummy-half with his goal giving Widnes a 10-6 lead.

It was now all Widnes and it was no surprise when a nice handling move saw Craven coasting through for a six-pointer.

With the last move of the first half, the Vikings swept up the right before switching the ball to the opposite side where Charly Runciman crashed through a double tackle to give his side a 22-6 interval lead.

Widnes started the second half on the front foot and a 60 metre break by Ryan Ince set up the field position from which Gilmore sent Craven flying through for his second try.

White failed with the conversion and suffered an injury in the process which saw him leave the field.

London reminded the Vikings they hadn't given up when Sammut side-stepped under the posts to pull six points back.

Widnes worked their way back up field and after Burke and Danny Walker both went close, Mellor wriggled over from close range with Gilmore's goal making it 32-12.

The Broncos threw the ball around with some abandon and crossed wide out through Kieran Dixon.

However, the Vikings had the last word as Mellor chipped over and regathered to score at the posts to make the final score 38-16.

A win at Catalns next Satirday would see the Vikings retain their Super League place.

Widnes: Craven; Chamberlain, Marsh, Runciman, Ince; Mellor, Gilmore; Buchanan, White, Dudson, Houston, Whitley, Burke. Subs: D Walker, Gerrard, Cahill, Olbison.

London: Walker; R Williams, Kear, Pewhairangi, Dixon; Sammut, Barthau; Battye, Ackers, Ioane, Gee, Pitts, Davis. Subs: Cunningham, Garside, Spencer, Bienek.

Half-Time: 22-6.

Referee: J Child.

Attendance: 4,199 .