WIDNES gave it a good go but just found Wigan too tough a nut to crack as they went down 28-12 at the DW Stadium.

The Vikings were within four points of their opponents with eight minutes remaining but two late tries from Warriors left winger Joe Burgess took the game away.

With Rangi Chase unavailable due to a one match suspension, Vikings coach Denis Betts brought in Tom Gilmore to partner Joe Mellor in the halves.

And in the continued absence through injury of Rhys Hanbury, Danny Craven was again selected at fullback.

The Warriors were close to full strength with forward Tony Clubb back in harness after a lengthy lay-off.

The home side enjoyed the early territorial advantage with the aid of a series of penalties.

Pressure finally paid off on 16 minutes when an inch perfect Thomas Leuluai chip-kick was caught on the full by Warriors skipper Sean O'Loughlin who touched down just to the left of the posts with George Williams adding the extras.

The Vikings' first spell of pressure on the Wigan line foundered on the back of Gilmore's knock-on from a poor Chris Houston pass.

Wigan doubled their lead nine minutes before half-time when Clubb crashed over under the sticks with Widnes claiming an obstruction.

There was certainly no doubt about the Warriors third try as quick hands to the right allowed Lewis Tierney to squeeze over to make it 16-0.

Widnes hit back just a minute before the break when, after a Mellor break up the right, the ball was moved swiftly across to the opposite wing and Corey Thompson's chip inside was gathered by Lloyd White for a try he converted himself.

After a scrappy start to the second half, the game burst into life on 55 minutes when White latched onto Craven's half-blocked kick and sold an outrageous dummy on a 45 metre dash to the posts to make it 16-12.

Suddenly, Widnes were in the ascendancy and they went close again but Stefan Marsh was bundled into touch at the right corner.

The Vikings continued to pile forward but the home line led a charmed life.

Almost inevitably, after absorbing all that pressure, Wigan hit back when a couple of long passes got Burgess over on the left with Williams' conversion giving his side a 10-point cushion and the trick was repeated with two minutes to go after Burgess chased a Liam Farrell kick to touchdown.

Widnes would argue, with some justification, that the final score flattered the home side.

Wigan: S Tomkins; Tierney, Gelling, Gildart, Burgess; Williams, Leuluai; Nu'uausala, McIlorum, Sutton, Bateman, Farrell, O'Loughlin. Subs: Clubb, Powell, Wells, Isa.

Widnes: Craven; Marsh, Bridge, Runciman, Thompson; Mellor, Gilmore; Dudson, White, Buchanan, Houston, Whitley, Cahill. Subs: Olbison, Heremaia, O'Carroll, Gerrard.

Half-Time: 16-6 Referee: Mr S Mikalauskas Attendance: 12,758