WIDNES boss Denis Betts rang the changes for his team's trip to Hull but to no avail as the Vikings went down 32-12 at the KCOM Stadium.

Rhys Hanbury missed out so Corey Thompson moved to fullback; Aaron Heremaia was selected in the halves with Chris Bridge moving into the centres and Tom Armstrong shuffled out to the wing.

For most of the first half, Widnes gave as good as they got and a half-time deficit of 14-6 was perhaps a little unflattering to Denis Betts' men.

But they were overpowered by Hull after the interval and it may be a case of back to the drawing board for next week.

Widnes got off to a great start when Heremaia dummied through from close range with Lloyd White adding the extras.

The lead didn't last long, however, as Mahe Fonua latched onto a Marc Sneyd kick and offloaded for the dangerous Albert Kelly to cross. Sneyd's goal made it 6-6 on six minutes.

The Vikings had a couple of chances to regain the lead with some smart inter-passing but they were kept out by desperate home tackling.

It took until the 32nd minute for the next score to come and it came Hull's way when Kelly's long pass allowed Fonua to squeeze over wide on the right.

Sneyd slotted over from the touchline from Fonua's effort and was on target again on the stroke of half-time with a simple penalty shot that made it 14-6.

The home side came out for the second half breathing fire and added to their tally when hooker Danny Houghton latched onto a Sneyd grubber kick for a six-pointer.

On 49 minutes Jamie Shaul backed up a Mark Minichielli break and at 26-6 it was game-up for the Vikings.

Things quickly got worse when Kelly ghosted past three would-be tacklers to score his second try and Sneyd's sixth goal made it 32-6.

To their credit the Vikings never gave up and pulled a try back when Chris Houston's speculative kick bwas regathered by White who crossed for a self-converted try.

Hull: Shaul; Fonua, Tuimavave, Griffin, Michaels; Kelly, Sneyd; Taylor, Houghton, Bowden, Manu, Minichiello, Thompson. Subs: Ellis, Connor, Green, Washbrook.

Widnes: Thompson; Marsh, Bridge, Runciman, Armstrong; Craven, Heremaia; J Chapelhow, White, Buchanan, Whitley, Houston, Cahill. Subs: Olbison, Leuluai, T Chapelhow, Johnstone.

Half-Time: 14-6 Referee: Mr C Campbell Attendance: 10,814