WIDNES were mowed down by the runaway train that is Castleford Tigers as they lost 34-0 at the Select Security Stadium.

Sometimes you simply have to acknowledge thew superiority of the opposition and for Vikings fans this was one of those occasions.

The day started on an emotional note with a minute's applause for the late, great Mick Adams.

Some of the rugby played would have gladdened the eye of the Widnes legend, but it largely came from the visitors.

The Vikings enjoyed almost all the territorial advantage in the first quarter of the match.

Forwards Hep Cahill and Jack Buchanan were both held up over the line as the Tigers defended desperately.

Winger Stefan Marsh, a late replacement for Patrick Ah Van, had a try chalked off for a forward pass as Widnes continued to press.

Danny Craven became the fourth Vikings players to cross the whitewash but was bundled over the dead ball line before he could ground the pill.

It was 21 minutes before Castleford ventured into the Widnes '20' with ball-in-hand but they immediately cashed in as Mike McMeeken's suspiciously forward-looking pass was touched down by in-form centre Greg Minikin. Luke Gale's fine conversion made it 6-0.

The Tigers ability to strike from deep came to the fore eight minutes later when Ben Roberts broke out from his own '20' and the ball went via Joel Monaghan and McMeeken before Minikin crashed in for his second six-pointer.

For Rhys Hanbury's restart to go out on the full was the last thing Widnes needed and from the resulting possession a typically slick handling move sent Cas skipper Michael Shenton striding over with Gale's third goal making it 18-0.

The visitors now had the bit between their teeth and their fourth try in the space of 14 minutes came when another wide passing movement saw Greg Eden dive in at the left corner to make it 22-0 at half-time.

With rain now sweeping across the stadium, the Tigers came out for the second half clearly determined to re-assert their dominance. They were aided in their mission by several Widnes handling errors and increased their lead on 50 minutes when substitute Matt Cook barged in from close range.

Eden crossed for his second try from Shenton's superb 'tap on' pass and Gale's touchline goal made it 34-0.

The Vikings' first break of the second period came on the hour when centre Tom Armstrong ghosted through but he was pulled up for an obstruction in back play.

Widnes's further efforts to get back into the game, a forlorn hope really, foundered on the back of handling errors and when they did manage to hang onto the ball they were met by committed defence.

The latter stages petered out with the Yorkshire side happy to have done their job.

Widnes: Hanbury; Thompson, Armstrong, Runciman, Marsh; Bridge, Craven; J Chapelhow, White, Buchanan, Whitley, Houston, Cahill. Subs: Heremaia, Burke, Olbison, Leuluai.

Castleford: Hardaker; Monaghan, Minikin, Shenton, Eden; McShane, Gale; Lynch, Milner, Springer, Sene-Lefao, McMeeken, Massey. Subs: Moors, Millington, Cook, Roberts.

Half-Time: 0-22.

Referee: Mr J Smith.

Attendance: 6,396.