WIDNES served up their poorest performance of the year and paid the price for a game completely lacking in composure.

Whether it was Wembleyitis taking a hold eight weeks from the semi with Cas, or simply one of those nights when everything went wrong.

Although Vikings were first on the scoresheet, the Vikings game plan soon unravelled and they got worse as the game progressed.

Watching the team effectively surrender was tough to take for the home fans in the 5,014.

Vikings opened the score after five minutes, when, after a penalty they pressed the Hull line before shifting right to Paddy Flynn.

The powerful wing, back after a two match suspension, took the chance well to power through from close range.

Danny Tickle landed the goal, but that was soon wiped out when Hull countered from the restart with Danny Houghton engineering and overlap for Callum Lancaster to cross unopposed.

Jordan Rankin's touchline goal levelled it - and the game continued at a lively pace.

The visitors took the lead when big prop Mickey Paea was unstoppable on 15 minutes, Rankin converted.

Things began to go wrong for Widnes then, starting with seeing Stefan Marsh stretchered off after coming worse off in collision with Gareth Ellis.

The source of their downfall was poor, panicked passing - and that gifted Hull the position to win a penalty for offside five minutes before the break, which Rankin duly goaled.

A penalty to Widnes on stroke of half time, just inside the Hull half, was too far for Tickle.

Another penalty to Widnes just after the break after Ben Crooks went high on Hanbury came to nothing when again lack of composure saw ball hit the deck on tackle two.

And Hull scented blood, a bad missed tackle in the middle saw a stream of players up in support before Lancaster finished off, converted by Rankin.

Widnes had a chance to get toehold back but another spilled ball was used productively by the visitors with Jamie Shaul racing in from a long range move.

Again Rankin made it a six pointer and that was game over.

And in the next play after the restart Watts and Westerman combined to send Richard Horne dashing in with Rankin making it 32-6.

Another loose pass saw another Hull try with Rankin racing in, then Lancaster dashed in to complete his hat-trick Shaul grabbed the last two to follow suit, with Rankin completing a perfect night with the boot.

Att: 5,014