WIDNES produced a powerful second half showing to run out 34-10 winners over Halifax in round four of the Tetley's Challenge Cup.

It was quite a turnaround from a first half which saw the Vikings trailing 10-6 at The Shay.

After the break, Widnes's pack really came to the party to impose their superiority on their opposites and lay the platform for stand-off Kevin Brown to flourish.

Brown's kicking game left something to be desired in the first 40 minutes but it was spot-on after the interval.

And he again showed his eye for the tryline with a couple of opportunist tries.

The first of those came on 49 minutes as he crashed onto a sharp Jon Clarke pass from dummy-half to slice through and give Widnes the lead for the first time in the match.

Five minutes later it was Brown's pinpopint kick which allowed Paddy Flynn to touch down wide out on the right.

Another Brown kick, this time to the left wing. saw Declan Hulme climb highest before plantng the ball over the whitewash.

At 22-10, the Vikings were now in full control and they rammed the point home as prop Phil Joseph powered over from a Jon Clarke drop-off with ten minutes remaining.

Brown rounded things off when he intercepted a stray pass near his own line and raced 85 metres for the game's final six-pointer.

While Brown may capture many headlines, powerhouse forward Hep Cahill certainly deserves plenty of plaudits.

Particularly after the break, his driving runs set the example for his teammates to follow as he constantly bent back the Halifax defensive line.

The likes of Alex Gerrard, Danny Tickle and Danny Tickle also showed the merits of straight, hard running.

Coach Denis Betts must have been pleased to see his team knuckle down to their task in the second half.

Much of the first half was a different story.

Some sloppy handling by Widnes meant they failed to capitalise on early opportunities.

The home side weren't exactly foot perfect either but they managed to get themselves on the scoreboard first.

Stand-off Scott Murrell kicked wide and when the ball ended up in the hands of Tommy Saxton, he sent fullback Ryan Fieldhouse charging over.

Steve Tyrer goaled to give Halifax a 6-0 lead.

Things started to look decidedly ropey for Widnes when they conceded again on 17 minutes as a they were caught out by a kick to the corner with Fax right winger Gareth Potts finding himself in acres of space to touchdown.

Fortunately, it didn't take long for the Vikings to hit back as Jack Owens popped a ball out of a tackle and skipper Clarke found a clear path to the posts from 10 metres out.

Danny Tickle's goal brought the scoreline back to 10-6 where it remained until Betts got his chance to re-invigorate his charges in the dressing rooms.

Halifax: Fieldhouse; Saxton, Tyrer, Cowling, Potts; Murrell, Brown; Ambler, Kaye, Bracek, Manning, Divorty, Adamson. Subs: Mennell, Tonks, Davies, Casey.

Widnes: Owens; Flynn, Dean, Lloyd, Hulme; Brown, White; Gerrard, Clarke, Joseph, Galea, Tickle, Cahill. Subs: Clough, Isa, Allen, O'Carroll.

Referee: M Thomason

Attendance: 2271