Send us news by text, start your message World News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Firefighters battle warehouse blaze
8:07am Monday 22nd October 2012 in News
MORE than 60 firefighters have been tackling a large blaze in Widnes.
The fire broke out around 9.30pm on Sunday at a recycling warehouse on Johnsons Lane.
The fire covers an area of between 300m and 100m and the warehouse is full of plastic and paper.
The inferno has been so strong that is has spread to two neighbouring units, also used for recycling.
A spokesman for Cheshire Fire Service swaid residents should keep doors and windows shut.
He said: "A large plume of smoke is issuing from the recycling warehouse and although tests have shown it is not toxic, householders have been urged to keep doors and windows closed as a precaution.
"Drivers are also being urged to avoid the area as hoses carrying water to the site are blocking the entrances to a number of roads."
Ground monitors are being used around the site to damp down the flames and the hydraulic platform is being used to put water on to the warehouse units where recycling material continues to burn.