A JEALOUS man who brutally attacked a former girlfriend just weeks after assaulting her was jailed for five years nine months today.

In a drunken rage, Callum Taylor, from Widnes, chased her with a broken beer bottle and struck his victim with it and then threatened shocked passers-by who intervened to help her.

“She must have been absolutely petrified as to what might happen next because your rage knew no bounds,” said Judge Norman Wright.

The broken bottle brandished by Taylor during his alcohol fuelled fury cut the 16-year-old victim on the left side of her head though fortunately the scar is covered by her hair.

But she was humiliated as it took place in front of friends and she has been left traumatised.

The 18-year-old had also threatened to harm the victim’s parents, Liverpool Crown Court heard.

At the time of the attack Taylor, of Plumley Gardens, had a six month suspended sentence for a previous assault on her during an argument.

The judge ordered this to be activated, bringing his total sentence to 69 months.

Judge Wright told him: “You behaved disgracefully. You are a jealous man.”

Taylor pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and three offences of criminal damage.

The judge made an indefinite restraining order to keep away from his victim, whose name cannot be published.

Chris Hopkins, prosecuting, said that the incident happened about 8pm in Dundalk Road, Widnes after Taylor, who thought she was staying at home, saw her with some other young men and shouted over to her.

He grabbed hold of her and threw her to the ground and pulled her along by her hair.

After she got up he threw her down again telling her that she knew how much he loved her.

“He started hitting her head on the floor, pulling her along again by her hair and then picked her up asking her again why she was out with the lads,” said Mr Hopkins.

He threw her down for a third time and started smashing her face on the floor and again pulled her by the hair.

He paused for a few moments before he went over to her again, punching her to the face and then strangling her.

“He lifted her up by the scruff of the neck so she could not breathe,” said Mr Hopkins.

“She told him she could not breathe and he dropped her to the floor and started hitting her again.”

Her father then rang her but Taylor warned her if he came along he would ‘bottle him’.

Mr Hopkins added: “He took his rucksack off and produced a lager bottle. She ran off towards the main road but heard a smash and turned round and he was chasing her.

“He caught up with her, grabbed hold of her and began to hit her head on a wall.

“He then threw her to the floor saying if he could not have her ‘no-one is going to’ and suggested it was all her fault.”

Mr Hopkins said that while repeatedly hitting her head on the floor she suffered the laceration from the broken bottle.

“She told him she needed to go to hospital but he said she was not going to hospital and said she was stupid and a slag before finally taking hold of her hugging and kissing her,” he said.

A couple in a car stopped during the incident to help her but he threatened them with the bottle and told them to get back in their vehicle.

Another car with two women stopped to assist but the victim told them to stay in the car.

Taylor went to their vehicle and smashed the passenger side wing mirror.

He rang his mum saying he was going to jail for a long time and during that conversation threatened to slash the throats of the victim’s mum and step-dad.

He went to their home and kicked the wing mirror of the mum’s car and went to a nearby shop to buy a bottle of wine which he used it to smash the side window of the step-dad’s vehicle.

At hospital the victim was found to have a laceration by her left temple, which needed stitches and bruising by her right temple.

She has been left with sleeping problems, her confidence has been dented and her college work affected.

The court heard that in the earlier incident, which resulted in the suspended sentence, he had grabbed her around the throat, called her insulting names, threatened to stab her dad, went out into the street with a knife and then returned and pushed her to the ground.

Ian Whitehouse, defending, said that Taylor had been ‘highly intoxicated’.

He said fortunately the injury had not been as serious as it might have been and his convictions all arose out of the troubled relationship with his former girlfriend.