CHESHIRE Fire and Rescue Service is urging Halton residents to ‘play it safe’ as World Cup fever grips the nation.
With most of the football games being played in the evenings or through the night, firefighters remind people to take extra care if they are staying up to watch the live games.
Head of preventon and protection Keith Brooks said: “With the timings of many of the games being during the evening it is likely that some people will choose to enjoy the competition with alcohol and food.
“Drinking when cooking, especially in the early hours of the morning can have dangerous consequences with more than half of accidental fires at home being started by cooking. Our message is to play it safe in the kitchen or even better, order a takeaway.”
Drivers are also urged to leave their cars at home if they are planning to have a drink while enjoying the football.
Here are some tips on how to stay safe while cooking and what to do if a fire starts in your kitchen.
Don’t leave cookers or grills unattended.
Take care if you're wearing loose clothing, they can easily catch fire.
Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
Double check the cooker is off when you've finished cooking.